The Family of Kemmis
Edition 2.4 - December 1997
Kemmis of Port Philip
- XXVI. Arthur Kemmis: 2nd. son of Thomas Kemmis (XXV) of Shaen by his wife Mary: born 1806: a cadet at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst: of Port Philip, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia where he settled in 1828: J.P. for the territory: Managing Director of the Port Philip Steam Navigation Co.: obiit 7th. February 1842: buried at Melbourne; married in 1831 Afhra, daughter of James Raymond Esq. of Hollywood, parish of Croagh, Co. Limerick, J.P. for the Co.: subsequently of Sydney, N.S.W. and Post Master General of the Colony; she survived her husband and married second, in 1851 at St. Mary's near Sydney, John Maughan Esq. of Dundullima, N.S.W. dying prior to 1865.
- 1. James Henry, born 19th March 1833 at(? O'Connell's Plain), died 31st. October 1838 at Sydney s.p.
- 2. Arthur;
- 3. Thomas, clerk in Holy Orders, incumbent of St. Mark's, Darling Point, canon of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney, chaplain to the Archbishop of Sydney; born 25th March 1835 at Milford Vale, O'Connell's Plain, near Bathurst; married 26th June 1860 at St. John's Church, Mudgee, Lydia Woodruffe, daughter of Archdeacon Gunther, and died 23rd March 1897, having by her who died 14th March 1927:
- (a) James Montague, of Herbert River, Queensland; born 21st. July 1863, died unmarried 18th. January 1938.
- (b) Theophilus Arthur, of Perth, Western Australia, twin with James Montague; married 1912 Beryl, daughter of R. Mattisson, and died 4th. June 1937, leaving issue
- (1) Peter, born 13th. May 1913,
- (c) Thomas Maughan, solicitor; born 5th. November 1867 at St. Mark's Parsonage, Darling Point; married 8th March 1911, Dora Ethel Anita
Ladd, and died 20th April 1938 and issue: a daughter, Sheila,
- (d) Charles Patteson, born 25th February 1872; married 25th April 1905, Jane, daughter of James Hedrick of Cairns, Queensland, who died 27th August 1935,
- (e) Stanley de Camois, born 5th. May 1876;
- (f) Lydia Raymond, born at Yass N.S.W.; married 3rd. May 1881 at St. Mark's, Darling Point, Edwin Charles Towle;
- (g) Mary Aphrasia, married 30th. January 1895, Cyril Cowper White, elder surviving son of Hon. R.H.D. White, M.L.C. and issue, two sons and one daughter;
- (h) Mabel Mort, twin with Thomas Maughan, died unmarried 1940;
- (i) Emily Alexandria, died unmarried 5th August 1930.
- 4. William Raymond, born 26th May 1837 at O'Connel's Plain.
- 5. Montague Raymond, born 19th. July 1841 at Melbourne; died 16th April 1854 at Enfield.
- 6. Aphrasia, born 9th. July 1838, died aet. 5 months.
- 7. Aphrasia Minna, born 3rd. January 1840 at Minto, died unmarried 21st. June 1914.
- XXVII. Arthur Kemmis: 2nd son of Arthur Kemmis(XXVI) by his wife, Aphrasia, born 25th April 1834 in O'Connell's Plain, Sydney; pastoralist of "The Chase" Mackay Queensland. (93) married 1st. in 1858 Jessie Holmes, Issue,
2nd. 11th. January 1864, Emily Slatyer, only daughter of Rev. John Gibson, M.A. and died 1st. July 1896, having by her, who died 23rd. August 1913,
- 1. Arthur Alexander born 1859, died 1896 s.p.
- 1. Arthur Hume Raymond, born 21st. July 1866; married 20th. June 1901, Agnes, daughter of Thomas Atherton, and has issue:
- 2. Ernest Sydney, born 13th. January 1870 at Mackay, Queensland; married 6th. October 1897 Haidee Florence Estelle, daughter of John McDonald; died 16th June 1948 s.p.
- 3. Frank Cecil, born 1st. October 1872, married Margaret Irene Morrison; died July 1922, leaving issue on daughter
- 4. Vivian Maughan
- 5. Lionel de Camois (XXVIII).
- 6. Cyril Guy, born 15th. October 1883, died un married 7th. July 1910 aet. 17.
- 7. Gerald Wilfred, born 7th. May 1887, married first 17th. August 1913 Marie Kathleen Conolly and by her who died 21st. September 1925 had issue 2 daughters
married 2nd. 27th. April 1927, Violet, daughter of George Charles Westgarth, and died .....
- Zoe and
- Laurie Geraldine,
- 8. Mary Aphrasia May, born 1865, married E. W. Fenner and has issue 5 sons and 1 daughter.
- 9. Emily Florence Minna, born April 1868, married Walter Farquhar and has issue 3 sons and 2 daughters.
- 10. Amy Constance, born 1874, married 1892 John Jordan and has issue 1 son and 1 daughter.
- 11. Ida Myrza, married 1898 Septimus Conolly.
- 12. Ruby Muriel born 1881 married 1st Arthur Murray in 1903 and issue 1 son, 2nd Hugh Fyson.
- XXVIII. Lionel de Camois Kemmis: born 11th. February 1879 at Mackay Qld. (5th. son of Arthur Kemmis XXVII) of Drummoyne 1904-20; of Killara, Sydney, N.S.W. Man. Director of Langdon & Langdon Pty. Ltd., Timber Merchants of Annandale, North Sydney and Petersham; in 1931Governing Director; married 3rd. February 1904 at Ashfield, Lorna Janet, eldest daughter of Richard Windeyer Robetson, M.L.A. of Sydney and eldest son of Sir John Robertson, K.C.M.G. and former Prime Minister of N.S.W. on 5 occasions before Federation; died at Killara on 27th. March 1949; and had issue:
- XXIX. Colin de Camois Kemmis: born 31st. July 1914 at Drummoyne: of Gordon and Lindfield, N.S.W.; enlisted AIF 1940, 2 Armoured Regt.: Sgt. 1941: Lieut. 1942-44: Managing Director of Langdon & Langdon Pty. Ltd., Petersham 1949; married Margaret Sheila Mary (Margot), who died 29th March 1991,only daughter of Francis Buchan-Sydserff Hislop of Sydney, at St. Alban's Church, Lindfield on 3rd. December 1936, died at Lindfield on 19th. January 1973; and has issue:
- 1. Robert de Camois (see XXX).
- 2. Stephen de Camois , born 22nd. September 1946 at Lindfield, B.A. with 1st. Class Honours at University of Sydney 1970; Tutor in Educational Psychology, Sydney University 1971; author of "Folk Guitar" published by David Reeves Music; married 26th. March 1970 Helene, second daughter of John St. Vincent Welch of Grenfell, N.S.W.
- 3. Michael de Camois , born 5th. December 1949 at Lindfield; married 5th. July 1969 Joanne, second daughter of James Seaquist of Birmingham, Alabama, USA.
- 4. Perdita Janet, born 17th. November 1937 at Lindfield; graduated Nursing Sister at Royal North Shore Hospital 1958; topped the State in Midwifery in South Australia 1959 at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, triple certificate 1960; married 7th. July 1962 at St. Alban's Lindfield to James Dale Herbert of Scarborough, England and issue twin sons, Robert and James born 1963 and Simon born 1965.
- 5. Jane Felicity, born 1st. April 1939 at Lindfield; graduated Nursing Sister at Royal North Shore Hospital 1959 and graduated in Midwifery at Crown Street Women's Hospital 1960; of Canberra Community Hospital and in 1970 Clinical Tutor Sister of Hornsby Hospital; unmarried 1971.
- XXX. Robert de Camois Kemmis: born 25th. August 1940 at Lindfield; gave his services for 13 months at Rugli, Mt. Hagen, New Guinea 1953-4, building quarters for the Christian Radio Missionary Fellowship; warden of St. Alban's Church of England, Lindfield 1966; Company Director 1969; married Jennifer only daughter of Claude D'Evelynes of Sydney, at Chatswood 26th. February 1965, and has issue
- 1. Mark de Camois, born 23rd September 1968 at Sidney
- 2. Rosalind, born 22 May 1970
Footnotes to Kemmis of Port Philip
- (93) Described in the "Australian Federal Directory" of 1888 as "Planter of the Chase, Mackay."
Beginning of Document
Table of Contents
Kemeys of Shaen
Kemmis of Yankalilla
John L. & Irene Kemmis